77.8 F
Cruz Bay
Tuesday, November 28, 2023


A 5-year-old girl suffered first-degree burns to her back and buttocks during a fire at a home in Bovoni around 2 a.m. Tuesday.
Fire Services Lt. Niel Berry said firefighters from Lima Company, the Tutu Fire Station, were called into action after reports of a fire at the home at Bovoni 3G.
Berry said the fire apparently started in the victim's bedroom when a lighted candle ignited flammable materials. He said electrical power had been cut to the home for some time and the family of five was using candles as a source of light. The household included the girl's father and mother and two younger siblings.
The victim was transported to the Roy L. Schneider Hospital for treatment. There, fire inspectors were to meet with the family to learn more about the cause of the early morning blaze.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.