83.2 F
Cruz Bay
Friday, September 30, 2022
HomeNewsArchives40-PLUS ABANDONED VEHICLES REMOVED FROM SAVAN

40-PLUS ABANDONED VEHICLES REMOVED FROM SAVAN

Nov. 19, 2002 – A "major clean-up operation" launched in the Savan area by the Anti-Litter and Abandoned Car Task Force on Saturday resulted in the removal of more than 40 derelict vehicles, according to a Government House release.
The task force, made up of representatives of eight government agencies, also cleared debris and otherwise cleaned up the historic neighborhood, it said. And the task force workers began removing debris from the gut that ends at Back Street behind the Enid M. Baa Library.
James O'Bryan Jr., assistant to Gov. Charles W. Turnbull, chairs the task force. He said it will be removing more abandoned vehicles, clearing more debris, demolishing abandoned buildings found to be health and safety hazards and boarding up others.
The operations are funded by a grant from the Anti-Litter and Beautification Commission. Since the task force was formed earlier this year, hundreds of abandoned vehicles have been removed from neighborhoods throughout the St. Thomas-St. John district.

Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.