85 F
Cruz Bay
Wednesday, November 29, 2023


Dec. 12, 2003 – Police on St. Thomas are investigating the death of a 29-year-old man whose body was found lying in a pool of blood in his Wintberg Heights apartment on Thursday night.
Officers went to the apartment of the man, Stewart Sargent, shortly after 8:30 p.m. in response to a call from a woman who identified herself as his girlfriend and said she had found his body lying on the apartment floor, according to a police report.
Police said it appeared that Sargent had suffered a puncture wound to the chest but that the cause of death would be determined by an autopsy.
The last time Sargent was known to have been seen alive was about 9 p.m. on Tuesday, the reported stated.
The woman told officers at the scene that she had tried to reach Sargent by telephone without success and so went to his apartment Thursday evening to see if he was there. She said she found the apartment door unlocked, entered and found her boyfriend's body on the floor.
Sargent's death is the 20th homicide recorded on St. Thomas this year and the 28th in the territory.
According to police, Sargent's death has been classified as a homicide and an investigation is under way. Anyone with knowledge of the case is asked to call the police Investigation Bureau at 774-4050, the Crime Line at 777-8711 or 911.
St. Kitts murder suspect arrested on St. Thomas
In an unrelated case, police also announced on Friday that members of the Safe Streets Task Force and the U.S. Marshals Service had arrested a man Thursday on St. Thomas who was wanted on murder charges in St. Kitts.
Keita Odel Williams had been arrested earlier by V.I. police officers for possession of an unlicensed firearm and appeared on Wednesday in Territorial Court concerning that charge, according to the police report. In connection with that case, he had given his name as Triscan Hensley, the report stated.
Judge Leon Kendall ordered "Hensley" released into the custody of a third party. However, before he was let go by the Corrections Bureau, he was taken into custody by the Safe Streets Task Force, which had a provisional warrant for the arrest of Williams in connection with a murder on St. Kitts on June 28, 2001. Williams "subsequently confessed that he was Keita Odel Williams and not Triscan Hensley," police said.
Williams had been sought in the territory since 2001, police said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.