Dec. 13, 2003 — The Humane Society of St. Thomas reminds all pet owners to protect their pets from playing with and swallowing holiday decorations, toys and other small items such as tinsel, ribbon, string, yarn, glass ornaments, hooks, bells, balls, paper clips, and pins. These items may seem harmless though can cause serious damage to your pet's intestines if swallowed causing much distress for your pet and sometimes requiring surgery to remove the object.
If you suspect that your pet may have swallowed any foreign object, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
Please do not try to remove it yourself as you may cause more damage. Keep you pets safe for the holidays and always! Please visit our website at www.humanesocietyofstthomas.com for more information about the shelter's programs and animals needing homes.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice… click here.