79.6 F
Cruz Bay
Thursday, September 29, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesThe Word on Torn or Flagging Signs: Fix 'Em or Else

The Word on Torn or Flagging Signs: Fix 'Em or Else

Aug. 24, 2004 – "Any applicant given the approved permission to display advertising devices on the roadside are responsible for monitoring their advertisement," a Government House release issued on Tuesday states.
Although the release did not say so, the announcement apparently refers to political campaign signs, posters and banners. In a Government House release issued on Aug. 16, Public Works Commissioner Wayne Callwood said permits from his department are required for political signage along roadways and that the department can remove any such items that don't conform to regulations. (See "Rules and Regs for the Signs of the Times".)
In Tuesday's release, Callwood said that "if an advertising device becomes torn, flagging or is not firmly in place, one has 24 hours to make the necessary repairs." If that doesn't happen, he said, Public Works "will have the device removed."
He also reminded "advertisers that the necessary permit must be completed and approved prior to posting signs on the government roadside."

Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.