75.7 F
Cruz Bay
Saturday, January 28, 2023

HomeNewsArchivesMurder Suspect Arrested in Overnight Shooting

Murder Suspect Arrested in Overnight Shooting

Oct. 2, 2006 — Police arrested a 24-year-old man Monday afternoon and charged him in the nighttime shooting death of a teenager near Four Winds Plaza.
Jamal "Shaggy" Arthur of Estate Nadir was arrested at 2:37 p.m. and charged with first-degree murder, Sgt. Thomas Hannah said Monday evening.
The victim, 19-year-old Shakif Alexander, died about 1:07 a.m. Monday from multiple gunshot wounds to the body after he was rushed to Schneider Hospital.
Officers assigned to the Four Winds police substation heard a single gunshot fired in the area of the On the Run gas station, Police Spokeswoman Shawna Richards said in statement based on preliminary reports and released before Arthur's arrest. That statement listed the time of the shooting as 1:07 a.m.
Officers responding to the scene discovered a black male lying on the ground, Richards said.
The victim, who was bleeding from the chest and mouth, was rushed to Schneider Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.
"Police are investigating reports that Mr. Alexander was allegedly involved in a robbery and may have been shot in retaliation," Richards said in a released statement.
According to Hannah, Arthur's arrest "brings this matter to a partial close." Police are still investigating the shooting, he said, thanking residents who contacted police with information leading to Arthur's apprehension and arrest.
"As the community works with us by providing information related to criminal incidents, we're able to make arrests quickly," he said.
Alexander is the second man killed on St. Thomas in a week and the 18th murder on the island so far this year. To date, 32 murders have occurred territory wide.
The last killing happened just before midnight Sept. 25 when 20-year-old Kendahl Braithwaite sustained multiple gunshot wounds to his body in lower Kronprindsens Gade.
Police said then that Braithwaite was alive when officers responded. He was rushed to Schneider Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery but died about 4 a.m. the following day.
Back Talk Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.