Principal Chermaine Hobson-Johnson of the St. Croix Central High School advises parents, guardians, students, staff and the general public of regulations regarding school uniforms. The dress code should be appropriate for the school’s environment. “As a general rule, what students wear should not distract either the teacher or their fellow students from the learning process. CHS has a zero tolerance policy towards prejudice of any form. However, clothing which displays offensive slogans, pictures or messages is not allowed,” she added.
The principal said that gang insignias, initials, or drawings should not be present on books, bags, persons, or school property. “It is recognized that not all situations and conditions can possibly be covered by a dress code. Therefore, the administration reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of any item of school dress. Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the student being sent home until the correction(s) to their attire have been made. Repeat offenses will result in serious disciplinary actions,” Principal Hobson-Johnson said.
The Uniform Guidelines are as follows:
Female Student Uniform
A knife or box pleated maroon skirt with a waistband of not more than two inches should be worn. The length of the skirt must reach the top of the knee or longer. The back of the skirt must reach the bend at the back of the knee. No lace, frills, or ornamentations including colored thread will be allowed on the school uniform skirt. Additionally, no wrap skirts, skorts, or bibs will be permitted on campus.
Blouse: White cotton short-sleeve button down at the front with collar or loose fitting white Pull-over shirt with no ornamentations.
Pants: Maroon full length pants with a waistband of no more than two inches, no cargo, oversized, form fitting, or Capri pants. No low-rise pants.
Socks: Ankle to knee high white or burgundy with no ornamentations.
Shoes: Black/dark brown shoes or black/white sneakers – no slippers, slides, mules, high heels, or boots.
Jewelry: One watch, one pair of earrings (no large hoops, balls, or designs), one small chain with one small pendant, and one bracelet. Absolutely no rings.
Male Student Uniform
Pants: Plain khaki trousers with belt buckled at the waist. Pants should have front and rear pockets – no cargo pants, no oversized pants, and no extra printed or embroidered designs.
Shirt: White, short-sleeve button down at the front with collar or white loose fitting pull-over shirt
Shoes: Black/dark brown shoes or black/white sneakers, no boots or slippers.
Socks: Black, brown, or white must be worn.
Jewelry: One watch, one small chain with one small pendant, and one bracelet. Absolutely no earrings or rings
- All students may wear solid maroon ties.
- Only seniors may wear maroon vests.
- Athletic shoes will not be accepted under any circumstances in any vocational educational classes.
- 12th grade students only will be allowed to wear class rings.
- Only white undershirts are permitted.
· No caps, hats, bandanas, stocking caps or doo-rags should be worn on campus. (If headwear is mandated by religious beliefs, cases will be dealt with individually.)
- No sunglasses unless prescribed by a physician.
- No T-shirts except for during physical education classes.
- Absolutely no jeans or pants made with denim will be allowed.
- No windbreakers/jackets except on rainy days. Big bulky jackets and excessively long coats are not allowed. Exceptions to rule must be accompanied by a doctor’s note.
- Ties and vests may be worn. Ties and vests must be maroon in color.
- IDs are a mandatory part of uniform.
- Belts must be worn with pants. No oversized, large buckles, or name designs will be allowed. Belts can be black, white, clear, or brown. No multicolored belts or excessive ornamentations.
- Your pants must be at your natural waist. Pants length must be long but should not exceed shoe soles.
- School uniforms must be worn at all times -absolutely no exceptions. This rule applies to students giving class presentations, on-the-job training (OJT) students as well as students in Career and Tech. Long sleeve white dress shirts and dress shoes may be worn for presentations.
- For field trips students must wear white gym t-shirt and long jeans pants with sneakers – absolutely no exceptions.