Purpose: Established in 2003, the Judith A. Towle Environmental Studies Fund supports activities that address environmental concerns that transcend the boundaries of any single island or island state in the insular Caribbean, particularly in the Eastern Caribbean, and in the U.S. and British Virgin Islands (a shared marine ecosystem separated by a political boundary), and in the dual-island nation of St. Kitts and Nevis (one political entity comprising two contrasting and separate islands), according to Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI).
Note that grants are not limited to the islands comprising the Eastern Caribbean or the Virgin Islands (US/UK) or St. Kitts-Nevis, but that priority for funding will be granted to those areas.
Grants will be awarded based on the potential of the proposed project to promote an integrated approach to addressing shared environmental concerns across island boundaries as well as to projects that contribute to trans-boundary solutions for environmental problems that threaten long-term ecological sustainability.
Who Is Eligible? Any individual who is a resident of or a member of a not-for-profit institution based in the insular Caribbean may submit a grant application. Graduate students may also submit applications for research projects focused on the insular Caribbean. Preference will be given to graduate students who are nationals of islands in the Eastern Caribbean, in particular the U.S. Virgin Islands or British Virgin Islands or the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.
What Activities Are Eligible for Funding? Internships, Research Studies, Workshops, Seminars and Lectureships, and Publications
Application Process: Applications, not to exceed three single-spaced typed pages, should include all the following information:
- Name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the applicant
- A brief introduction to the applicant, highlighting the applicant’s qualifications for undertaking the proposed project
- Description of the proposed activity, including who will do what within what time frame, and what are the anticipated accomplishments, results or products of the activity
- Assessment of how the proposed activity furthers the overall purpose of the Towle Fund
- Amount of money requested and how it will be expended
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three persons familiar with the applicant’s work and accomplishments, who could be contacted for additional information
- Supporting documentation may be submitted but must not exceed an additional five pages. Documentation exceeding five pages will not be considered as part of the review process.
Grant Award: One or more grants will be made, not to exceed a total of $5,000 in 2017. The 2017 grant award will be made no later than July 31, 2017.
Application Submission Deadline: June 15, 2017. Please forward the application to: CFVI | PO Box 11790 | STT, VI 00801 or email@example.com.