The Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) is now accepting applications for the 2017 NatureTech.Solutions Award for technical innovation. Supported by the Potter Fund for NatureTech Solutions at CFVI, the $3,000 prize will be awarded to projects that have been built to increase the effectiveness of natural or cultural resource management in small islands in the Eastern Caribbean.
The Potter Fund for NatureTech Solutions, established by Kincey and Bruce Potter, is a legacy of Island Resources Foundation, which provided technical assistance to conservation organizations and activities in small islands while based in the U.S.V.I. from 1971-2016.
“Kincey and I have spent some of the best years of our lives in the insular Caribbean, especially the Virgin Islands,” said Bruce Potter. “We are delighted to be able to partner with the foundation to use the Potter Fund for NatureTech.Solutions and the resources shared from Island Resources Foundation’s legacy to provide a prize to stimulate and support innovations to improve the management and conservation of resources in the small islands of the Caribbean.”
- Applicants must reside on a small island in the Caribbean that is smaller than 10,000 square kilometers in size and has less than one million inhabitants.
Applications should include:
- Name of the Innovation
- Applicant’s Name (individual or organization), address, telephone number and e-mail address
- A brief history of the innovation that will highlight the resource management need addressed by the innovation and the applicant’s involvement in addressing that need
- A description: who has been using the innovation, what are the specific products or results, the resource management advantages garnered by using the products or results provided by the innovation
- Current status of the innovation including potential future modifications and adaptations
- Names and contact information of three individuals who have knowledge and experience with the innovation
Applications must be submitted by e-mail to Dee Baecher-Brown at email@example.com with NatureTech in the subject line, no later than Sept. 1, 2017.
The winner of the NatureTech.Solutions prize will be announced on Oct. 1, 2017.
For more information about the application process, to track changes in the terms of this new and evolving program, and for blog entries that may provide additional insights or suggestions for NatureTech projects, visit https://NatureTech.Solutions/.