Department of Planning and Natural Resources Commissioner Dawn L. Henry said Monday that federal aid may be available to commercial and private fishers who have sustained losses due to the hurricanes.
Commercial and private fishers who have sustained losses due to the hurricanes may be able to apply for federal aid. Those who are affected should visit the following sites during the following dates and times:
St. Thomas/St. John-
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Oct. 30, Nov. 6 and Nov. 13
9 a.m. to noon Wednesday, Nov. 8 and Nov. 15
2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28, Nov. 4 and Nov. 18
Red Hook DFW Offices
Noon to 4 p.m. Friday, Oct. 27, Nov 3, Nov. 10 and Nov. 17
10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 2 and Tuesday Nov. 7
Mars Hill DPNR
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday Oct. 30, Nov. 6 and Nov. 13
Noon to 4 p.m. Friday Oct. 27, Nov. 3, Nov. 10 and Nov. 17
Anna’s Hope – Dept. of Public Works, Division of Environmental Enforcement
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday Nov. 8 and Nov. 15
Henry advised applicants to bring all information necessary to establish their claim. This includes damaged gear, location of gear, and estimated cost of gear, ice machines, vessels, traps etc. Photographs and receipts should also be brought. Questions on what information is needed can be addressed by calling the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 340-514-5141.
In other issues:
– Henry asked the public not to mix in hazardous waste – anything that might be poisonous, flammable or dangerous – with household garbage. DPNR will soon issue instructions on what to do with such waste.
– Boat owners whose boats are derelict will need to contact DPNR at firstname.lastname@example.org to prevent the boat from being removed from the water and destroyed. If DPNR cannot reach the owner within 30 days after identifying a derelict vessel, they will remove and destroy the boat, Henry said.
– Effective Monday, DPNR has relocated its St. Thomas office to the Charles W. Turnbull Regional Library. Hours will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The lower-level entrance is available for patrons of DPNR, Henry said.
– Both the Charles W. Turnbull Regional Library on St. Thomas and the Florence Williams Public Library on St. Croix will open Oct. 30 and both libraries will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The Florence Williams Public Library has electricity and internet. Henry asked all library patrons who have books checked out to return them to either library once they open, even if those books are damaged from the storm.
– DPNR will issue permits for damaged eletrical weatherheads that are in need of repair. First, a local licensed worker must be hired to do the repairs. That worker will apply for the permit from DPNR and DPNR will issue the permits within 72 hours. Once the repair is complete, DPNR will sign off on the repair and send a notice to WAPA to energize that particular building.