Oriental Bank completed the transition of all former Scotiabank accounts to the Oriental banking platform last weekend. This transition means that all accounts are now under Oriental account numbers and not accessible by their former Scotiabank numbers. Other banking products, such as debit cards that supply access to account funds, have also changed.
Oriental Bank assures its esteemed clients that their funds are safe and secure. We understand that there is frustration and apprehension in not being able to access funds. It is the priority of every person in the bank’s organization to assist its clients in updating their user information which would allow immediate access to their accounts.
While every effort was made to notify and inform customers of the steps to be taken to access their funds once the conversion was complete through mail delivery, media alerts, social media notifications and outreach efforts, unfortunately, all customers did not receive the necessary notifications. Oriental Bank acknowledges that this is a disruption in the lives of its banking clients, and it is working diligently to rectify the situation.
Solutions have been identified for clients who have the following issues. Detailed information is also available on the website at https://integration.orientalbank.com/usvi
Reports of Zero Balances
First and foremost, all funds are safe. Customers are not seeing their funds if they are still accessing Scotiabank’s former banking service. They will have an instant view of their account balances by activating their new Oriental online banking service at www.orientalbank.com/usvi and following the prompts to log in or sign up. (See details below under Online Banking)
Activating Your Oriental Debit Card
Oriental MasterCard debit card customers were sent a new card with a security chip and contactless technology followed by a secure personalized envelope with their new PIN number.
- Customers who have received their Oriental MasterCard and their new PIN can activate it by making a payment or POS transaction using their new card at any ATM with their new PIN or calling 866-622-6800. Customers will have instant access to all account information and transactional activity. The old PIN will not work with the new card.
- Customers who have not received their PIN through the mail — due to mail delays caused by the pandemic or outdated addresses — are encouraged to visit https://orientalbank.com/en/vi/contactus/ to request a callback or call Oriental Customer Service at 1-800-981-5554.
- Customers who have not received a debit card through the mail are encouraged to call Oriental Customer Service at 1-800-981-5554. Branch appointments are available as well. To avoid lines at a bank branch, appointments can be scheduled online at https://orientalbank.com/en/vi/appointments/. Select St. Thomas or St. Croix. Customers age 65+ and first responders will be given special consideration. For personal safety, visitors are reminded to wear a mask and maintain six feet of social distance when visiting the branch.
Gaining Immediate Access to Funds
The fastest way for customers to access their funds is by activating their Oriental debit card. If they have not yet received the card and need immediate funds, they may do the following:
- Write a check using their old Scotiabank checks for expenses as normal. These checks will continue to be accepted. At this time there is no need to order new Oriental checks.
- Register for the new Oriental Online Banking and Mobile Banking services using the new Oriental credentials (username/password) to make payments or transfer money. (Details below under Online Banking)
- Withdraw funds in the branch or drive-thru using a counter slip or by writing a check for “cash” using a Scotiabank check to Oriental.
Existing Online Banking customers should have received a welcome letter with detailed login instructions. If the customer did not receive the letter, they should call Customer Service at 1-800-981-5554. New Online Banking users should visit www.orientalbank.com/usvi, select “Access your accounts,” then select “Personal Banking” below “Oriental Access,” and follow the prompts to sign up.
To start using the mobile banking app, users must first enroll in Online Banking. After having established a User ID and password and having logged in for the first time on a desktop computer, they can then log in through the app which can be downloaded from the app store, selecting the “Banca Movil Oriental” icon with the orange O on a white background. Oriental Bank encourages existing online users to delete the Oriental Caribbean mobile banking app that appears with the Oriental O icon on a gray background to avoid conflicts.
ACH payroll checks will automatically be deposited as before the transition. The branch routing numbers have not changed.
Direct debits linked to a person’s old account number will continue to be processed as usual. For new direct debits, please use the new account number assigned in the letter received.