The V.I. Department of Health began distributing $250 gift cards as a part of Gov. Albert Bryan Jr.’s incentive program created in an effort to encourage the community to get vaccinated, complete the vaccine series and reach community immunity. Gift cards valued at $250 are being distributed to individuals who meet the following criteria:
- If they received 1 dose of a 1-dose vaccine series or Janssen between Aug. 9 and Sept. 30, 2021
- If they received their second dose of a 2-dose vaccine series (Pfizer or Moderna) between Aug. 9 and Sept. 30, 2021
Those who do not meet these criteria are not eligible to receive a gift card and should not visit any of the department’s distribution sites requesting a gift card.
Examples of persons who meet the criteria to receive a $250 gift card:
- Rihanna got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on July 22 and her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Aug. 12.
- Steve got his first dose of the Janssen vaccine on Sept. 15.
Examples of persons who do not meet the criteria to receive a $250 gift card:
- Nikita got one dose of the Janssen vaccine on March 15.
- Jennifer got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on July 16 and her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Aug. 6.
- José got his first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Sept. 4 and is not due for his second until October.
Distribution is from Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, on St. Croix and St. Thomas, and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on St. John. These sites will issue gift cards through Nov. 30.
Only those who are eligible or the parent of a minor can pick up their gift card.
Minors ages 12 to 17 are not permitted to pick up their card without their parent; however, parents or guardians are permitted to pick up their child’s gift card in the child’s absence, but they must present a valid picture ID and the child’s valid picture ID and birth certificate.
People who are unable to pick up their card by the deadline will have an opportunity to retrieve their card through Sept. 30, 2022, by alternative means, which will be announced at a later date.
Locations for pick-up are:
- St. Croix Community Vaccination Center at the old Nissan Building in La Grande Princesse
- St. Thomas Community Vaccination Center in Community Health at Schneider Regional Medical Center
- Morris de Castro Clinic on St. John
A vaccination card, digital vaccination record and a valid picture ID is required.
To ensure a smooth process, it is advised that individuals have their identification and vaccination cards in-hand before walking into any of the distribution sites.
The paper insert that comes with the gift card includes instructions and the card’s PIN number. All recipients must read the insert carefully. The gift card cannot be used without the PIN number, and a new PIN number cannot be issued by the bank.
For more information on the COVID-19 vaccines, visit www.covid19usvi.com.