State Office of Special Nutrition Announces USDA Commodity Distribution

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)

The Virgin Islands Department of Education State Office of Special Nutrition Programs informs the public of its upcoming drive-thru distribution of U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) commodities for the territory. Distribution will take place across both districts on the following days for all eligible persons.

St. Thomas – St. John District

Date: Saturday, Sept. 16, at Lockhart K-8 School

Start time – 7 a.m. until supplies last (all eligible persons are asked to report on this day).

St. Croix District

Date: Saturday, Sept. 23, at St. Croix Educational Complex High School

Start time – 7 a.m. until supplies last (all eligible persons are asked to report on this day).

The Emergency Food Assistance Program or (TEFAP) uses income, not age, to determine program eligibility. The St. Thomas-St. John District and St. Croix District distributions are for all eligible persons meeting the criteria listed below. Distribution packages will be limited to one per household.

Individuals or heads of households eligible to receive these commodities must be identified as “in need” by meeting one of the following criteria:

  1. A person or head of household whose gross family income does not exceed 185% of the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines for July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
  2. A person or head of household who is a client of any of the following income-certified assistance programs:

(a) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

(b) Medical Assistance Program

(c) Be a tenant of a subsidized public housing program.

  1. Individuals are also permitted to self-declare their income using the self-certification portion of the application if they do not fall into the established categories stated above.

USDA Commodity Distribution

To obtain commodities, proper identification must be presented. Persons completing the Self Certification Form should be prepared to provide information relative to their gross income. Any person not able to provide satisfactory information to the distribution site staff will not be able to receive a commodity package.

For additional information, call Federal Commodities Officer Correy Lettsome at 774-0100, ext. 2818.


ANNUAL income cannot be more than $ 26,973/

MONTHLY income cannot be more than $ 2,248/

WEEKLY income cannot be more than $519

If the Household Size is 2 persons

$36,482/$ 3,041/ $ 702

Household Size 3

$ 45,991/$ 3,833/ $ 885

Household Size 4

$ 55,500/$ 4,625/ $ 1,068

Household Size 5

$ 65,009/$ 5,418/ $ 1,251

Household Size 6

$ 74,518/$ 6,210/ $ 1,434

Household size 7

$ 84,027/$ 7,003/ $ 1,616

Household size 8

$ 93,536/$ 7,795/ $ 1,799

For each additional family member add

+$9,509/+$ 793/ +$ 183


Civil Rights Non-discrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices and employees as well as institutions that are participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc., should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:  and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.

Submit the completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442

Print Friendly, PDF & Email