82 F
Cruz Bay
Sunday, September 23, 2018
Sun September 23, 2018 1:33 AM

Community

UVI Bulletin Board for August/September

Here is what's happening on both campuses of the University of the Virgin Islands.

Volunteers of ICMC Program Office Repair V.I. Schools and More

The group continues to work to offer response for the benefit of both public and private entities on St. Thomas and St. John, such as public and private schools, daycares, and individual homeowners who need assistance with gutting and mucking their homes and facilities.

George Monoah Joseph Dies at 102

George Monoah Joseph, also known as “Nugget,” who was a son, brother, father, husband, police officer, fireman, clerk, baker, pharmaceutical technician, manager, steel band player and one of the founding members of the Hell’s Gate Steel Band, has passed away at the age of 102 years old.

Feds Award Disaster Recovery Grants to V.I. Health Centers

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has awarded grants totaling more than $1.2 million to support the Frederiksted Health Care Center on St. Croix and the East End Medical Center on St. Thomas.

USVIHTA Awards Lorette Resch Scholarships to Two Students

The USVI Hotel and Tourism Association, via the association’s Education and Training Fund, awarded $5,000 in scholarships to Sheeniqua Venzen and Rysa Bryan during a ceremony in August.

Elections Systems Releases Government Retirees Inc. Initiative Verified Signatures

Supervisor of Elections Caroline Fawkes announces the status update of the St. Croix Government Retirees Inc. Initiative in both districts. The total verified voters to date are listed as follows.
Commissioner of Human Services Felicia Blyden testifies at a hearing Friday

Governor Ensures Non-profits to Receive Funding

Non-profits impacted include Partners in Recovery, Bethlehem House, V.I. Center for Independent Living, Men’s Coalition, My Brother’s Workshop, St. John Community Foundation and Lutheran Social Services.
Some 50 boats that were damaged by Hurricane Irma still ring Hurricane Hole, but the Navy is on the way to remove the wrecks. (National Park Service photo)

Hurricane Hole Update from Virgin Islands National Park Service

The impacts of hurricanes Irma and Maria, together with some damage from the recent vessel removal operation, have rendered portions of the chain unusable. Berths at Otter 12, Otter 13, and Borck 4 are not usable because of chain damage.

Peyton Manning Congratulates DOE on $40,000 Smarter Football Equipment Grant Award

From a pool of 1,400 applicants, DOE was one of 18 that received awards. The territory's four high schools will each receive $10,000 to purchase new equipment for their football programs.

Annual Parent Conference Urges Parents to Be a Voice for Their Children

Parents from across the St. Thomas-St. John District gathered on Sunday, Sept. 2, at the UVI Sports and Fitness Complex for the 8th Annual Parent Conference.

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

STAY CONNECTED

4,671FansLike
3,137FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Load more