87.9 F
Cruz Bay
Thursday, September 20, 2018
Thu September 20, 2018 3:26 PM
Home Community Page 83

Community

@ School: Vela Culbert Receives Hebrew Congregation’s MLK Award

In the essay that earned her the Hebrew Congregation of St. Thomas’ award, Gifft Hill School 11th grade student Vela Culbert came up with an action plan for helping homeless people.

Students Speak Their Minds on Gun Violence, Discrimination and More

Three St. Thomas private school students shared their thoughts about discrimination, gun violence and marijuana legalization to the V.I. Legislature Wednesday, with greater clarity and seriousness than often seen by their seniors. 

New Innovation Center Gives UVI Students Chance to Give Life to ‘Revolutionary’ Ideas

A new innovation center in the UVI library on St. Thomas will give students access to the kind of technology needed to make ideas – such as generating three dimensional prosthetics – come to life.

V.I. State Teacher of the Year Honored at Government House Ceremony

Monique Mari Motta, the Virgin Islands 2016 State Teacher of the Year, was honored before family members, and education and government officials Thursday, Jan. 14, at Government House in Christiansted, St. Croix.

VIPD of St. John Holds Officer Recognition Presentation

V.I. Police Department officers attached to the St. John-Leander Jurgen Command held their Quarterly Recognition Presentation, providing acknowledgement to those outstanding officers covering the period of October-- December 2015.

Marcus Norkaitis Offered $300,000 Scholarship to Attend U.S. Coast Guard Academy

Marcus Norkaitis has been offered a four-year scholarship to the United States Coast Guard Academy (CGA). Norkaitis was one of over 2,200 students to have applied for an appointment to the CGA, one of five federal service academies. Norkaitis’ attends high school at the Peter Gruber International Academy.

Beach Advisory for January 11-15

The Department of Planning and Natural Resources (DPNR) announces that the Beach Water Quality Monitoring Program, which evaluates weekly water quality at popular swimming beaches throughout the territory by sampling for Enterococci Bacteria and Turbidity, which is a measure of water clarity, advises the public of the following:

AKA Sorority Celebrates 108 Years of Service

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. will celebrate its 108th Founders’ Day on Friday, Jan. 15. The sorority is an international community service organization of college women founded on Jan. 15, 1908.

V.I. Schools Running Out of Money for Food

The public school system has already used up most of its funding to buy food for school lunches and needs another $4.6 million quickly to allow it to buy enough food to finish out the year.

Skinks Under Review for Endangered Species List

Four species of V.I. skinks are on the list for more intensive review by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to determine if they’ll make the endangered or threatened species list.

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

STAY CONNECTED

4,671FansLike
3,137FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Load more