Superintendent of the St. Thomas-St. John District Jeannette Smith-Barry has announced the results of the recent 2010 District Primary Spelling Bee. A total of 20 second and third-grade students representing public, private and parochial schools participated in the bee, which lasted for an exciting 13 rounds. The top six spellers are:
1. Champion – K’Shard Callendar, third grade student at Evelyn E. Marcelli Elementary School
2. 2nd Place – Jabez Haynes, second grade student at Calvary Christian Academy
3. 3rd Place – Aanchal Totwani, third grade student at All Saints Cathedral School
4. 4th Place – Kayla Williams, third grade student at Bethel Baptist Day School
5. 5th Place – Chahida Browne, third grade student at Wesleyan Academy
6. 6th Place – Alyssa Aaron, second grade student at Ulla F. Muller Elementary School
All participants were awarded books, certificates, pins and trophies. Additionally, the top six spellers were awarded placement trophies, savings bonds, Scrabble board games and gift certificates. The champion was awarded an iPod Nano.
The spelling beewas sponsored by the Office of the Insular Superintendent, St. Thomas-St. John; AFT Local 1825, Attorney Joseph Caines, St. Thomas Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Scholastic Inc. and Pizza Amoré.