Commissioner Jean-Pierre L. Oriol of the Department of Planning and Natural Resources (DPNR) gives notice to all Underground Storage Tank Operators (UST) that every (UST) facility must have a Class “A/B” and “C” UST operator’s certification. Oriol reminds the public that operator training is required by law, and training is required to be renewed every three years.
www.USTTraining.com is an approved training vendor of DPNR and has created a Virgin Islands-specific course that is 100 percent online. The cost for the Class A/B course and certificate is $160.
The Department of Planning and Natural Resources further states:
For Class A/B Certification
- Those who have no designated Class A/B operator certification must be trained immediately.
- Those who are already certified in another state, must renew with a DPNR approved course before their certificate expires.
- If the certificate is more than 3 years old, the person must retrain immediately.
For Class C Certification
UST operators have two choices:
- Certified Class A/B operators can train their own Class C operators, or
- They can obtain a USVI Class “C” course from www.usttraining.com/USVI
Operators without the required certificates are in violation of V.I. CODE ANN tit. 12, § 659. (2006), and subject to enforcement action which can include penalties of up to $25,000 for each day of violation pursuant to V.I. CODE ANN tit. 12, § 680 (a)(1) Civil Penalties.
Random inspections will be conducted throughout the remainder of the calendar year.
If there are any questions, contact Syed Syedali, environmental program manager, at 773-1082, ext. 2276, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.