88.3 F
Cruz Bay
Monday, September 24, 2018
Mon September 24, 2018 6:24 PM
Home Community Page 85

Community

AKA Sorority Celebrates 108 Years of Service

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. will celebrate its 108th Founders’ Day on Friday, Jan. 15. The sorority is an international community service organization of college women founded on Jan. 15, 1908.

V.I. Schools Running Out of Money for Food

The public school system has already used up most of its funding to buy food for school lunches and needs another $4.6 million quickly to allow it to buy enough food to finish out the year.

Skinks Under Review for Endangered Species List

Four species of V.I. skinks are on the list for more intensive review by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to determine if they’ll make the endangered or threatened species list.

Quanè Jelani Richards Dies at 20

On Dec. 31, Quanè Jelani Richards died in Florida. He was 20 years old.

National Commander of American Legion to Visit Legionnaires, Veterans

American Legion National Commander Dale Barnett will be visiting the American Legion Tenth District on St. Croix on Jan. 14 and 15. He will be meeting with Legionnaires from all posts within the Virgin Islands at the Myron G. Danielson American Legion Post No. 85 headquarters in Christiansted.

Beach Advisory for January 4-8

The Department of Planning and Natural Resources (DPNR) announces that the Beach Water Quality Monitoring Program, which evaluates weekly water quality at popular swimming beaches throughout the territory by sampling for Enterococci Bacteria and Turbidity, which is a measure of water clarity, advises the public of the following:

Climate Matter Workshop Set for Jan. 12, 13 at UVI

Climate Matters Workshop is a two-day interactive workshop and discussion on how climate change affects the Virgin Islands. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday, Jan. 12 and 13, at the University of the Virgin Islands Administration and Conference Center.

What the V.I. Education System Could Be

Michael Bornn gives an overview of the teaching programs of two of the world’s most successful educational systems. He uses their very different approaches to alert Virgin Islanders it is time to retool their own system.

Caribbean Reservations Inc. Donates $5,000 to Red Cross V.I.

Caribbean Reservations Inc. selected the American Red Cross (ARC) of the Virgin Islands as a recipient of its donation to nonprofit organizations, due to the extensive work conducted by the Red Cross volunteers in the community with their disaster preparedness programs: Home Fire Campaign and the Pillowcase Project.

Santiago de Cuba Invites V.I. Genealogists to Bring Cultural Delegation in 2016

Ron Harrigan, Ed. D., president of the Virgin Islands Genealogical Society (VIGS), has announced that the government of Santiago de Cuba has extended an invitation to the V.I. to participate in the 2016 Carnaval festivities.

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

STAY CONNECTED

4,671FansLike
3,137FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Load more