Hovensa L.L.C. has awarded scholarships to 10 recent graduates of Virgin Islands high schools to assist them in their pursuit of a degree at an accredited U.S. college or university of their choice.
The recipients of the grants are:
· Nicholas Cromwell Jr., who plans to study chemical engineering at the University of the Virgin Islands
· Ashlee Erica Douglas, who plans to study music industry/electrical engineering at Drexel University
· Akeema Edwards, who plans to study architectural engineering at Philadelphia University
· Lynisha Farrell, who plans to study biology at the University of the Virgin Islands
· Nicholas Henry, Jr., who plans to study electrical/computer engineering at the University of Houston
· Nicole Henry, who plans to study nursing at Prairie View A&M University
· Asha Joseph, who plans to study pre-medicine at Emory University;
· Tyler Rice, who plans to study environmental economics at Brown University
· Malcolm Stephens, who plans to study electrical engineering at North Carolina State University
· Daniel Turbe, who plans to study mechanical engineering at North Carolina State University
The recipients were selected based on their scholastic records and financial need compared to other applicants. The scholarships to these students will continue for four years provided the students maintain good academic standing at their chosen institution of higher learning.
HOVENSA President David Huffman stated that education is crucial to the future of this community and to society as a whole; therefore, educational assistance will continue to be a top priority of Hovensa in its contributions. “We congratulate the scholarship recipients on their accomplishments, and we encourage them in their pursuit of higher education,” said Huffman.
In addition to these recent high school graduates, 17 Virgin Islands residents who graduated from high school during the previous three academic years will receive scholarships from Hovensa for the 2009-2010 academic year. The company will issue scholarships totaling approximately $72,000 this year.