V.I. Delegate to Congress Stacey Plaskett drew international attention Wednesday when she made the eye roll seen ’round the world during the House Government Oversight Committee’s hearing on Michael Cohen.
During the televised hearing, Plaskett was seated below and in front of GOP Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, who was the most notable Republican critic of Cohen, the former personal attorney of Donald Trump. The Republican strategy for the hearing was to ignore the substance of Cohen’s testimony Wednesday and zero in on his credibility. The former Trump lawyer has admitted to lying to Congress in his defense of Trump during his previous testimony, one of the charges for which he has pleaded guilty in federal court and will soon begin serving a three-year prison sentence.
At one point in the eight-hour hearing, Jordan yielded the remainder of his time, then attempted to make a motion. Rep. Elijah Cummings, the chairman of the committee, wasn’t having it, pointing out that Jordan had already yielded his time. There was a moment of angry interplay between Cummings and Jordan. Plaskett can be seen turning to Jordan, catching his eye, and appears to mouth the words “Be quiet,” then rolls her eyes epically. The video of the eye roll is here.
When Cummings says he is going to proceed, Plaskett says quietly, “I wish you would.”
That video clip almost immediately went viral on social media, particularly Twitter, where viewers around the world lauded her for expressing what they were feeling listening to Jordan.
Comments on Twitter included the following:
– “@StaceyPlaskettis my #moodright now watching this hearing…”
– “Stacey Plaskett is all of us looking at Jim Jordan, the last person who should address anyone’s character,” a reference to the Ohio Congressman’s being tangentially connected to a sex scandal during time as an Ohio State University assistant wrestling coach.
– “Rep. @StaceyPlaskettcoming through with the “I wish you would…” look of every black mama with a teenager.”
– “@StaceyPlaskettis all of us reacting to Jim Jordan”
– “I LOVE @StaceyPlaskett!!!”
– “Rep. Stacey Plaskett is all of us every time Jim Jordan speaks.”
– “Stacey Plaskett ftw” (for the win.)
– @StaceyPlaskettis reclaiming ALL of our time with just her facial expressions. She’s the Glenn Close of the #CohenHearing.”
– “Ms. Stacey Plaskett is a national treasure for that eye roll”
– “@StaceyPlaskettis making me book a trip to the Virgin Island (which she represents) because I know the food is gonna be good and the hospitality right up my ally.”
Several Twitter users expressed surprise that the U.S. Virgin Islands has a representative in Congress.
The story was featured online and in print across the country and around the world.
During his testimony, Cohen called the president a conman, a racist and a cheat, and implicated Trump in campign finance violations, among much more.