Nov. 26, 2003 – The Planning and Natural Resources Department has been testing and retesting the territory's waters since Nov. 18 and has determined that only a few waterways are still cause for concern, according to an update issued on Wednesday.
Nearly two weeks of relentless rain and flooding earlier this month caused sewage and septic system leakage, which resulted in unacceptable levels of contaminants in shoreline waters. However, DPNR Commissioner Dean Plaskett said, nearly all of the territory's beaches are now considered safe for swimmers and boaters.
Still of concern because of contaminant levels are Crown Bay, the Charlotte Amalie harbor and Cay Bay on St. Thomas; Haulover Cut on St. John; and the Christiansted harbor on St. Croix.
Plaskett also said the public should continue to stay away from water in puddles, guts and drainage basins, as it may be contaminated.
Publisher's note : Like the St. John Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.