81.9 F
Cruz Bay
Sunday, June 4, 2023
HomeNewsArchivesVA Advises Veterans on How to File Tax Returns to Get Stimulus...

VA Advises Veterans on How to File Tax Returns to Get Stimulus Payments

March 18, 2008 – This year, veterans who do not otherwise have to file anything with the IRS will have to send in a tax form in order to receive a stimulus payment. This applies to veterans and their survivors who receive certain pension and disability payments that are not taxable, according to a press release from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Veterans who have income other than veterans' benefits and are required to file a tax return and pay taxes for 2007 have nothing more to do. They will automatically receive their economic stimulus payments after they file their tax forms. This would include people who receive non-taxable pension or disability payments from the VA but who also work and earn enough to have to file and pay taxes.
Veterans who receive VA pension or disability payments, sometimes in combination with Social Security (generally none of which are taxable), will need to file an abbreviated tax form this year to allow the IRS to send the stimulus payment they are entitled to receive. Those who have no tax liability and are not required to file a tax return may qualify for a minimum payment of $300 ($600 if filing a joint return) if they send the IRS a simple tax return that reflects $3,000 or more in qualifying income. For the purpose of the stimulus payments, qualifying income includes veterans' disability compensation, and pension or survivors' benefits received from the VA in 2007.
Those who are not required to file a 2007 return but whose total qualifying income (including earned income, Social Security and any of the veterans' benefits stated above) would equal or exceed $3,000, should file a simple tax return reporting the income and benefits to establish eligibility. They can use a Form 1040A and report the total of their benefits on Line 14a, or can use a Form 1040 and report the total of your benefits on Line 20a. Please note that both of these lines refer only to Social Security, but you should enter the total of your benefits received there, whether your only benefits were veterans' benefits or a combination of Social Security and veterans. If you have earned income, it is reported on a separate line, Line 7, of either form.
Virgin Islands residents' tax returns must be filed with the VI Bureau of Internal Revenue. You can provide your mailing address on the tax form and file it at one of our offices or mail it to: VI Bureau of Internal Revenue, 9601 Estate Thomas, St. Thomas, VI 00802.
Additionally, for those who would like assistance in completing the tax form, the Bureau prepares tax returns territory-wide on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. through April 12 (this service will not be available on March 22, Easter Saturday).
If there are any questions, call IRB at 773-1040 on St. Croix and 715-1040 on St. Thomas. For additional information or assistance, call the Office of Veterans Affairs at 773-6663 or 774-6100.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.