83.2 F
Cruz Bay
Saturday, June 22, 2024
HomeNewsLocal governmentHurricane Maria Survivors on St. John and St. Thomas May Apply for...

Hurricane Maria Survivors on St. John and St. Thomas May Apply for FEMA Disaster Assistance

Hurricane Maria survivors on St. John and St. Thomas (including Water Island) may now register for disaster assistance with FEMA. Today’s amendment to the major disaster declaration for the U.S. Virgin Islands for Hurricane Maria makes FEMA Individual Assistance available to eligible individuals and families on those two islands.

Because of today’s amendment, survivors in the U.S.V.I. may now apply for FEMA assistance if they sustained uninsured or underinsured property damage because of Hurricane Maria.

Virgin Islanders on St. John and St. Thomas were already eligible to apply for assistance due to the Sept. 7 disaster declaration for Hurricane Irma.

“We know many individuals and families in the Virgin Islands are struggling as a result of these powerful hurricanes, and we want you to know that help is available,” said Federal Coordinating Officer William Vogel. “Registering is the first step to help get you on the path to a variety of recovery programs.”

Registration can be done online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or Spanish at www.DisasterAssistance.gov/es or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services may call 800-621-3362.

The toll-free telephone numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice. Operators are standing by to assist survivors in English, Spanish and many other languages.

Due to power outages, FEMA will also be working with the territory to make options available for disaster survivors to register in person. More information will be forthcoming on that effort.

Federal disaster assistance helps eligible applicants with home repairs, uninsured personal property losses and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster. It also helps cover other disaster-related expenses and other needs.

Survivors in St. John and St. Thomas May Apply for Assistance

Survivors should contact their insurance company to file an insurance claim. FEMA is unable to duplicate insurance payments. However, those without insurance or who may be underinsured may still receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Survivors will be asked to provide:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can get mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance

Survivors who have already registered with FEMA and have questions or concerns can call the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.