Young Syrian Refugee Returns to St. Thomas to Face Trial

The 18-year-old Syrian refugee who surrendered himself at a St. Thomas police station in March returned Monday to the island, where he is expected to face trial on charges of illegal entry into the United States.

Defendant George Soufan was allowed by a federal court to choose whether to be prosecuted in the jurisdiction where he was arrested.

Between the time he made his way into the territory with help from a trafficker and his Monday pre-trial appearance, Soufan was seized by agents of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement service and taken to an immigration detention center in Florida. By that time he had made an initial appearance in St. Thomas District Court and had been released on bond by U.S. Magistrate Ruth Miller.

Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)

In the court filing that described the circumstances of his arrival on St. John, the defendant told authorities he came by boat from neighboring St. Martin after fleeing Syria with his father two years earlier. After Soufan’s removal from the territory in mid-April, Federal Public Defender Gabriel Villegas filed a series of habeas corpus writs in order to have Soufan prosecuted on St. Thomas.

The effort showed some initial success when the defendant was flown back to the territory to answer a single-count indictment on illegal entry filed April 4.

By April 23 an order was filed in District Court, citing United States Code, Title 18, Chapter 3401 that said: “The court hereby designates Magistrate Judge Ruth Miller to exercise jurisdiction in this matter to the extent that Defendant George Soufan consents to such jurisdiction on the record.”

By Monday, Soufan’s consent became apparent. He and his lawyer complied with a court order compelling him to appear at a pretrial hearing. From there, he prepares for the start of a June 3 trial before District Court Judge Curtis Gomez.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Support the VI Source

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall - we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. Our sites are more popular than ever, but advertising revenues are falling - so you can see why we could use your help. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. If everybody who appreciates our reporting efforts were to help fund it for as little as $1, our future would be much more secure. Thanks in advance for your support!