83.2 F
Cruz Bay
Wednesday, December 8, 2021
HomeNewsLocal newsTug Abandoned Off STX in 2017 Now Leaking Oil

Tug Abandoned Off STX in 2017 Now Leaking Oil

The U.S. Coast Guard is working to contain spilled oil in Krause Lagoon off St. Croix. (U.S. Coast Guard photo)

The U.S. Coast Guard reported on Tuesday that it had begun responding a week earlier to oil spilling from the partially sunken and abandoned tugboat Cape Lookout in Krause Lagoon off St. Croix. The tug was reportedly abandoned after the 2017 hurricanes.

While the amount spilled so far is unknown, according to the Coast Guard, based on the size of the vessel, its tanks could contain as much as 48,000 gallons of fuel and 2,000 gallons of lube oil if the tanks were completely full.

Spilled oil in Krause Lagoon as of Nov. 13. (U.S. Coast Guard photo)

“Due to the immediate pollution threat this vessel represents to the environment and surrounding area, the Coast Guard is working to open the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund to hire an Oil Spill Removal Organization to conduct cleanup operations,” Lt. Cmdr. Alberto Martinez, Sector San Juan Incident Management Division chief, said in a release from the Coast Guard. Once a company is hired, that company “will provide specialized personnel and equipment to recover any oil, fuel or potentially hazardous materials that may have been discharged into the water or remain aboard the vessel,” he said.

St. Croix Renaissance Group, LLP, reported the leak six days ago, on Nov. 12, and the Coast Guard confirmed oil coming from the 97-foot tugboat. The Cape Lookout remains tied to a concrete platform at the facility, partially sunk with its bow sticking out of the water.

The Cape Lookout sunk in Krause Lagoon as it appeared on Nov. 13. (U.S. Coast Guard photo)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)

According to the Coast Guard, about 85 percent of the discharged oil is still contained within the absorbent and containment boom that is surrounding the vessel, while the remaining 15 percent or so is within an area that extends roughly 50 yards from the vessel.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story mistakenly reported that the tug has been sunk since 2017. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.





Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Load more